Monday, April 13, 2009

Simple joys!

The other day it was the kids movie night, so I put on something that I knew would catch Kenji's interest, but to my surprise he wasn't really into it for the moment. Instead he said; "Me no want to see movie. Mommy, me do something fun with you?" So I said; "Sure, my love, we can do something special and fun together! What would you like to do?" He thought about it a bit then enthusiastically said, "Hmmm..., me want to do school with you!"

Hearing that made me so happy and proud of him. Sure he doesn't always think this way about school, for the most part he gives me a hard time when it's time to start school, but once he gets started he really does enjoy it! Ah, such simple little joys! I just hope he can keep this mindset (of school being fun) for a long, long time. Heh.

I've started him on a bit more of "bigger" kids kind of school -- pre-writing, counting/adding, reading, (both sight & phonetic) etc. And so far he seems to be liking it. More than trying to rush him through things just to try and "make" him smarter, I figured I'd just go at his pace (seeing as boys aren't as into school as girls are :P) but so far so good. He's picking up his phonetic reading pretty well and can read one vowel words all by himself and is also making steady progress with his "Early Bird Readers" - sight reading.

He is also doing real well with his pre-writing! He enjoys doing a thorough job when writing or coloring (Virgo traits kick in, yay) and hardly makes mistakes, holds his crayon real well, in spite of his just about non-existent interest for coloring/scribbling when he was younger. (That is supposed to really help kids in their writing ability later on down the line).

Now as far as math goes, I've noticed he's quite good with numbers and quantity concepts. Again, I'm taking this easy and just following his leading, but already he can count to 50 - with the exception of getting some of the "teen" numbers mixed up every now and then. For a while he would get his 'five' mixed up with 'nine.' Ha!

Oh, and another little tid bit is; I recently did a 'heads up' on how many spirit helpers he knows (and I mean knows their name and what they help us in) and it amounts to 24! Wowsy! I'm so proud of my little "spiritual samurai." :) It's a given that he needs a small hint with certain ones, but over all he has a fantastic memory!

Okay, I'll stop blabbing/bragging :D about my little guy and leave you here with some pix of school/projects/activities from the past couple of weeks as well as a video of Angel doing some homework. He's making SO much progress! :) There should be some other videos of him in the related videos. Take a peek at them all, it's worth it! ;)

* Little disclaimer: I'm sure you've noticed Kenji's new 'do in the post prior to this one & this one. Well, I took him to a hair salon a while ago and the lady did a terrible job - even after I had specifically told her what I wanted. Grrr... oh well I guess it will grow out again soon enough, and you know actually it doesn't look too bad on him. Or maybe he's just that cute for anything to look bad on him. :P JK.

Okay, now get this. The other day while brushing his hair I noticed a nice little chunk of hair right on the top of his head being about 3 cm long so I asked him, "what happened here, did you cut your hair?" To which he replied, "the lady no do it nicely, mom, me fix it." Riight! He must have heard me and grandma say that, heh. I guess I'll have to do his partition to the other side for some time now. :D



4 comments:

mig.moon said...

you don't know how happy it made me to see Angel doing those activities! It makes me happy ot know tha the is having creative outlets.Thank you so much for posting that Sukito! I miss you all!

Suko Luna said...

Oh, your welcome, Mig, glad you liked it. :) Yes, TTL, he's doing well in school - integrating, participating, & cooperating.

We're looking for other extra curricular activities for him like; soccer, swimming and drumming. Pray we can find these classes for him and that they be consistent, etc. We love & miss you too!

lizzy said...

Aww the video of munchy is so cute...I hope Kenji keeps that mentality about school then he is on his way to become a little genius...you are truly an awesome mother and a great sister i love you dearly....i will keep you all in my prayers...i love you guys so much and i miss you

lizzy-xoxox

Suko Luna said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, Angel is making so much progress, of course he has his moments when he's not in the mood - at all - to cooperate. :D But over all he's doing real well!

Indeed I hope this "love for school" sticks with him for a long, long time! :) ILY and miss you bunches. xoxo