I'm trying to remember the details that go along with "Dia de Reyes". Here's what I recall from my childhood:
The tradition was to place your bed slippers by the door to the house the night of the 5th along with a little piece of paper describing what you wanted and if I'm not mistaken stating which of the Three Kings you wanted to deliver your present.
You were also supposed to put by the door a little snack for the Three Kings' beasts. I think it was a bowl with some sugar water for the camel, another one with plain sugar for the horse, and I can't remember what the third bowl had for the elephant. And possibly something for the Three Kings as well, I'm not sure.
Anyways, then on the morning of the 6th you would open the presents and there is a traditional bread "Rosca de Reyes" that you would snack on, accompanied by some hot cocoa, upon waking up and opening the presents.
Traditionally "Rosca de Reyes" used to be a very yummy and wholsome pastry. The real kind contained all sorts of dried fruit and nuts and was very tasty. But now a days this "traditional" bread has become very commercial and is nothing but a dry, flavorless, yet very sweet, air-filled bread.
One last detail about the "Rosca de Reyes", and which has still been carried on through the years, is the secret placing of several little plastic dolls in the "Rosca". I don't know if these dolls have any significance or not.
Anyhow, if you happened to get/find one of the various dolls in your piece of bread then you/your family would have to be the ones responsible to throw the next party.
Kenji taking a bite of the "Rosca de Reyes".
Now it's Angel's turn.
The presents finally ... HOORAY!
Our two Virgo posers ... but for some reason they're not looking at the camera. They must be thoroughly entertained by Liz and her monkey business :D
And here are the long awaited presents ...
A semi-truck that transports cars, from mommy.
A beautiful and colorful alphabet puzzle set, from Liz.
For those who didn't check out the blog during November here's a little background to this next present.
While looking at his "My big Trucks" book his eyes fell on a big fire engine and he immediately folded his hands, all by himself, and prayed for the Lord to supply him one. So I had to answer his full of faith prayer.
A fire engine from mommy.
Let's see what this fire engine can do...
A perfect Kenji size black board, from grandma.
Puppy bed slippers, from mommy. He's trying to put them on, so cute!
A basket ball, from Liz.
All he's missing now is a hoop his size to make some slam dunks.
6 Hot Wheel cars, from mommy.
A Tigger and friends set, from granddad.
A small "press & go " straight track, from mommy.
And here he is enjoying it immensely.
6 comments:
what do you mean Liz and her monkey business....Yasu i have no monkey business...and i cant believe you put those yucky pictures of me without my permission....Kenji and angel are soo big...it was good to see you guys and to finally met kenji...i love you guys tons...you must come and visit me some time...love ya
What monkey business? Oh, should I refresh ur memory? :D jk.
It was great seeing you too, and sure would like to go visit you and enjoy the beach some time, guess we'll see.
By the way you look great in the photos, a bit messy but that's okay ;). xxx
I look ok?!?!..i don't even look like my self........ya you guys should come...and not in the middle of the summer cuz boy oh boy does it get hot here..hope to hear from you guys soon...and Yasu you still need to call me..i love you tons
Haha, well you look like a spoiled little man, too much love in the air...
Alright, so maybe he did get a wee bit too many presents, but hey it's his "1st" Christmas, so he was allowed to be pampered. :D
I owe him a present.
Post a Comment